Walking the Talk: Career and Professional Development
- From the day we are born our parents hold up a candle of aspiration for us. But it is us who truly know how the story will end as we discover ourselves and turn our gifts into abilities – which then become our careers.
- Today we are looking at two things the world talks about but cannot satisfy unless we individually rise to the challenge and make it satisfactory.
- The careers are mastered further through experience and practice to become the professionals the world is looking for – the experts.
- Getting into a career starts with knowing who you are.
- Knowing who you are, opens the door to knowing what you want and would like to achieve.
- This is done by understanding your passion, that one thing you do effortlessly and it brings joy when accomplished . A lead towards your profession.
- A President does not become a President by accident, nor does an actor become an actor by coincidence. It is innate.
- People have called it a calling because it calls out to you to become it. For each time you do it you feel content. But that is not enough.
- Like a plant, career needs watering; enriched with knowledge and experience from practitioners, diligently applying learnt lessons.
- Francis of Assisi a Christian Saint said “start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible”.
- Saying one wants to become a professional and even choosing a profession is easy. It is a word of mouth.
- Importantly as one confesses a profession they need to do all it takes to get to their dream.
- Remember gold does not become precious until it is refined.
- To become a Director, Writer, Beautician, Counsellor, Designer, or a Business Mogul, be sure to refine yourself into gold with the necessary skills and virtues that profession requires.
- Remember every profession is about serving others to increase the virtues and value you have to offer. Carry a torch of positivity it will light your pathway to success.
- Do not forget to have a sense of humor that puts a smile to the final recipient of your services and crowns you with joy.
Never Give Up
- Cheptegei Joshua dared to set foot on a track and ended up graduating from a runner to an athlete.
- Breaking a 16-year record on the track and wining gold more than once, but no one remembers how Joshua lost a local race when a muscle pull sprung on him.
- He did not loose hope when the nation saw him on an international track, everyone wondered why the incompetent athlete was in the field.
- Only Joshua knew what it would take. Despite the failure, he had gone back to his practice and chasing after his dream.
- Now we call him not just a runner but a professional athlete and a world champion.
- The first fails do not make us failures but learners.
- So if what we are doing is our passion, we keep practicing till we become the best.
- What people say does not count unless it is a word of encouragement.
- Hellen Keller who managed to overcome the hurdle of being blind and deaf to becoming a recognized activist, writer and lecturer.
- In her words of wisdom she said, “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.“
Walk The Talk
- As we think of a career, let us not waste our value on trying to compete with others but rather sharpen ourselves to become what others admire.
- Do not just talk, act upon our abilities and plans with dignity.
- Holistically boost the brain in knowing all that there is to know about our passion, channeling our emotions towards giving the best effort to our actions and work.
- Dress to suit the action and acting the part of what you profess as your profession to perfection.
- When you do all that has been said, you beginning to realize you are more than the person people know but a professional and expert in your field of calling.
- Trust in the God of possibilities so that when you are about to give up you rely on his promises.
- Set goals both short and long term goals and work towards achieving them.
- Seek for relevant knowledge and literature to help you achieve your goal.
- Get a role model in the field of your interest; farming choose the likes of Dr. Naluyima to understand the details of how she has climbed the ladders to where she is.
- Start small and gain experience.
- Keep proper records to track your finances.
- Separate business from family affairs.