Social Media Etiquette And Soft Skills
Definition of Key Words
- Social Media: These are interactive computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation or sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. There are different types of social media networks to mention but a few; Facebook, Tweeter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc. Social media plays a crucial role in connecting people and developing relationships. The basics of social media etiquette defer from one platform to another for example reposting someone`s content on Instagram requires much more care than re-tweeting someone on Twitter.
- Social Media Etiquette: This refers to the guidelines that companies and individuals use to preserve their reputation online. It is a set of customs and rules for polite behavior, especially among a particular profession or organization. Etiquette in social media is about more than just minding your manners and staying in someone`s good grace.
- Soft Skills: These are character traits and interpersonal skills that characterize a person`s relationship with other people. It is the innate, non-technical abilities possessed by an individual. Or Soft skills often refer to the general temperament and personality of a candidate. Some examples include; communication, teamwork, self-motivation, flexibility, etc.
- Communication: Communication is simply the act of transferring information from one place, person or group to another. It involves at least one sender, a message and recipient. Communication on social media has got both positive and negative impacts.
Social Media Etiquette
Social media communicators should be aware of negative influences online because they are disruptive, cause retaliation and hatred.
There are some basic “Dos” and “Don`ts” that essentially apply to all platforms which include but not limited to the following.
In order for one to communicate on social media with grace and class, the following tips may be considered.
- Don`t ignore your followers questions, comments and messages .
- Use caution while posting or tagging photos.
- Be self-centered in small doses please.
- Understand that your sense of humor isn`t universal.
- Don`t be over-reactive by engaging with haters.
- Avoid over-sharing e.g on WhatsApp group responding to earlier posts when other members have already concluded the topic.
- Build a legacy for the future through genuine communication.
- Don`t misrepresent yourself.
- Protect against legal and security issues.
- Empower users e.g Don`t dwell too much on negative posts which could create hard feelings among the group, missing opportunities and damaging the brand in this case which is K16.
All in all, proper social media etiquette is all about building a respectful and authentic online presence that showcases your positive image worldwide.
Recommendation: As social media channels have evolved to become one of the primary ways people communicate in the modern world on daily basis, the Team recommends that K16 formulates social media usage guidelines as a tool to regulate social media etiquette.
K16 Galz let`s make a difference as we communicate with class and grace!